In 2018, Collin Martin came out as gay. At the time, he was the only ‘out’ man in any of the big five American sport leagues or any top division professional men’s national soccer leagues.
Collin shares how Cary Umhau, a speaker, writer, and consultant, was influential in his coming out process.
- Faith Forms Identity: Gay or not, God completely loves you
- Every Sunday, Different Church: Growing, learning, and realizing you’re gay
- Inner Struggle: What to do with knowledge in an unwelcoming environment?
- Boiling Point: Separating faith from sexuality until telling family and friends
- Mentor/Mom’s Best Friend: Why Collin was comfortable coming out to Cary
- Taco Time: Say what you have to say about being gay
- People: Give those who love and support you a chance, despite the risk
- Teammates: Promise to protest when something is wrong, not right
Links and Resources:
Collin Martin on Instagram
San Diego Loyal
Minnesota United FC
Major League Soccer (MLS)
United Soccer League (USL)
Burning Down the Fireproof Hotel by Cary Umhau
Q Christian Fellowship Virtual Conference
Queerology Podcast on Instagram
Queerology Podcast on Twitter
Beyond Shame by Matthias Roberts
Matthias Roberts on Patreon
Until next week,
Get My LGBTQ+ Reading Guide!
Want to learn more but don't know where to start? This guide makes it easy.