When Dr. Kyl Myers and their husband decided to have a child, they came to an unorthodox decision: they would not assign a gender to their baby. Dr. Kyl teaches the world how to raise children without gender-based shame, expectations, and limitations. Instead, she’s an advocate for unconditional love so kids can live vibrant, authentic lives.
Kyl is a sociologist, educator, and advocate for Gender Creative Parenting. Her TED talk, Want Gender Equality? Let’s Get Creative, encourages people to rethink childhood gender socialization.
Kyl’s new book, Raising Them: Our Adventure in Gender Creative Parenting documents their journey raising their child, Zoomer. She is the creator of the Raising Zoomer website & Instagram, a place where kids be kids in an environment where everything is for everyone.
- Faith and Religion: Mormonism shaped identity journey—for better and worse
- Homophobia: Same-sex controversy, no promo homo laws, and conversion
- Queer Community: Recognizing and finding one’s self is liberating
- Social Justice: Fight for the underdog and against being ostracized
- Education: Check your ignorance and think on your own to learn valuable things
- Love and Marriage: Meet people, make choices, and question family values
- Gender Creative Parenting: Commit to raising children by supporting diversity
Links and Resources:
Kyl Myers’s TED Talk: Want gender equality? Let’s get creative
Raising Them: Our Adventure in Gender Creative Parenting
Raising Zoomer on Instagram
Queerology Podcast on Instagram
Queerology Podcast on Twitter
Beyond Shame by Matthias Roberts
Matthias Roberts on Patreon
Until next week,
Get My LGBTQ+ Reading Guide!
Want to learn more but don't know where to start? This guide makes it easy.